Monday, November 10, 2014

Ginger Sailboat, Chapter Two

I soon figured out that the boy's name was Thomas Sailboat. We had both been accepted into the choir, and we were famous throughout the neighborhood for our slow, jazzy singing. Soon, Thomas invited me on a date. And the top caption on the neighborhood newsletter read: GINGER CLICKSHIRE AND THOMAS SAILBOAT HAVE CAUGHT THE LOVEBUG!  And before I knew it, I had my first kiss with Thomas onstage when we sang a duet,"Love is a Form of the Flu". Snobby people booed, fans cheered. Mrs. Sailboat's jaw dropped, and Mom giggled. Later that night, I caught Dad with his head bent, tears falling thick and fast onto the leopard print carpet woven by my Grandma Jane. Dad was mumbling, "My baby, my baby! Growing up so fast. Seems like tomorrow Ginny'll have kids, the next day they'll have kids." That's when I realized it. I was in deep, deep love.

No comments:

Post a Comment